Ever have a problem with redeploying your Tridion 2011 Event System DLLs and keep getting a “File In Use” error? Even after shutting down the Tridion COM package, recycling the SDL Tridion application pool, and shutting down the related Tridion services? Normally on a small development team (or working by yourself on the Tridion instance) you won’t run into this issue if you follow the normal steps outlined in the documentation. But if you are working on a large project (with lets say 50+ concurrent Tridion users), you might of run into this little frustrating situation of trying to hunt down all the processes that have your file locked.
Here’s a quick and easy trick you can do to get around this issue, and its easier than having to ensure that everything is shut down first.
- Rename the existing DLL on the server. For example, rename Tridion.Sample.EventSystem.dll to Tridion.Sample.EventSystem.dll_OLD. Even though it is in use, you still have the power to rename it.
- Copy your updated DLL to the server.
- Restart the Tridion COM+ package.
- Restart the Tridion Publisher service.
- Recycle the IIS SDL Tridion 2011 application pool.
- Delete the old renamed DLL when you get the chance.